Ebook OpenStreetMap (OSM) Spatial Data Collection Guideline
March 30, 2018 1402
Why Choosing OpenStreetMap (OSM)? The following are some reasons why you are better-off choosing OpenStreetMap:
- OpenStreetMap is open and free. This means, OSM is not charging any fees to use its data.
- Data OpenStreetMap is rich, accurate, and updated real-time. This is because each user can add, change and delete data. For example: if you realize a building no longer exist but is still mapped on OpenStreetMap, you can easily delete that building from the map.
- Using OpenStreetMap is easy. OpenStreetMap produces a lot of guidelines to first-time OSM mappers. Its layout and means to add data is made as easy as possible to enable users with diverse educational background can still participate in contributing data to OpenStreetMap.
- OpenStreetMap can be customized. All datasets in OpenStreetMap can be used to your own needs, for instance, if you need to make tourism sites map in your place, you can take OpenStreetMap data and show only these tourism destinations without having to include other information.
Samples of OpenStreetMap (OSM) Usage OpenStreetMap data is open, which means anyone can access and contribute to adding OpenStreetMap data. OSM data can be used for a variety of purposes, using Geographic Information System (GIS), such as disaster management, urban planning, etc.
- Making of Village Map The spatial data available to making village maps are often incomplete or not detailed. By using OpenStreetMap data, large scale maps, such as village maps can be created in detailed as contributors can do their own ground survey on the area in question.
- Making of Database for Disaster-prone Areas In disaster management, maps play critical roles in preparedness, response, and rehabilitation phases. Some of the map examples related to disaster management, including map of disaster prone areas, map of affected buildings, map planning for evacuation shelters and routes.
Source: HOT. Data Collection using OpenStreetMap. Public Domain